Sunday, March 28, 2010

ROXY David Carson's Quote



"It’s not about knowing all the gimmicks and photo tricks. If you haven’t got the eye, no program will give it to you.”

David Carson




When I was looking through the list of possible quotes we could chose from, this was the quote that stood out to me the most. I have believed this idea for most of my life, way before I had even heard of the quote or knew whom David Carson was.

I have always thought that if you didn’t have any talent or eye or colours, patterns, space or design, no teacher or book is ever going to be able to teach you how to be creative or create great designs. These things are natural talents, not some technique that can be taught to anyone. Yes, graphic designers use such programs as Illustrator and Photoshop to create their art but these are simply tools. If you were to teach the same techniques to someone with no artistic skills, the chances of their artwork being on the same par as the graphic designers are very small.


David Carson himself is an excellent example for this quote. Carson wasn’t educated or taught graphic design or typography. He even “broke all the rules” of graphic design. He had natural talent. He had an eye for design.

I believe David Carson’s thinking behind the quote is the same – or very similar - as my idea.


- Roxy

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this Roxy. I don't believe a great designer can learn to be a great designer....... just enhance on their own natural instinct of creating designs. (hope that makes sense)... The use of the software is a skill that can be learnt and gives another pathway to produce more creativity in a refined manner with less glue..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely makes sense Pam. Thank you for you're comment =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I copy and paste your comment in my text somewhere? Just kidding ;]. It sounds like you've like written a new section for it or something - maybe it's a strange coincidence that we both chose David Carson and have to same ideas...? =P

    ReplyDelete